Topic: A major component of a bug tracking

A major component of a bug tracking system is a database that records facts about known bugs. Facts may include the time a bug was reported, its severity, the erroneous program behavior, and details on how to reproduce the bug; as well as the identity of the person who reported it and any programmers who may be working on fixing it.

Re: A major component of a bug tracking

daya wrote:

A major component of a bug tracking system is a database that records facts about known bugs. Facts may include the time a bug was reported, its severity, the erroneous program behavior, and details on how to reproduce the bug; as well as the identity of the person who reported it and any programmers who may be working on fixing it.

Hello daya,

Thanks for sharing this. Apparently this is general knowledge and anyone with a good level of common sense would know this. but thank you anyway.

thank you so much for sharing this common and really very general information with us.

Last edited by N.Aaron (2010-10-09 05:57:36)

1  down vote

I'd take a slightly different approach to this problem. I'd set up components for your Core Runtime and for each project/product specific part, but don't make these components branch specific. So, you might have the following components in your Jira project:

* Core
    * ProductX
    * ProductY
    * ProductZ

Then, I'd differentiate the different branches by version. I'm assuming that you have some type of version numbering system that allows you to tie your binaries in the field back to a particular branch and version. Set up a version in Jira for each version/branch. When you report issues into Jira, you can select one or more affected versions.

This system has a couple of advantages:

1. If an issue spans multiple versions/branches you can identify all of the affected versions in the issue.
   2. You can set the Fix For Version to one or more versions. At times, you may only fix an issue in your trunk, or a certain branch. Perhaps it's a major issue and you have to port the fix across branches. This system gives you the flexibility to see all of that and report on it.

Last edited by Fabion (2010-10-16 07:08:31)

Thanks for the very informative post and in addition to that I can share a bug tracking tools:
(Bugzilla, DevTrack, Dragonfly, Footprints, Mantis, Perfect Tracker, QEngine, Squish, TrackStudio)